Friday, September 28, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome to the Dr. Ralph Watkins Memorial Blog. The History Department at SUNY-Oneonta has created this blog to enable colleagues, students, friends, and all else who knew Dr Watkins to post messages of remembrance. The blog will be available for at least this academic year (2007-2008) and monitored by members of SUCO's History Department. Please feel free to post your comments or memories via the "comments" section. However, if you have a particularly long post or would like to write a featured entry, please email us your entry and we will paste into the main Blog Entries.

-The History Department-

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very saddened to hear about Dr. Watkins' passing. He was a true scholar and cared deeply about his students. I remember often sitting in his office to discuss historical and political topics. His door was always open for his students for advice and discussion. I will always remember him.
Michelle Rosenberg- Segal
Class of 1991

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear about the passing of Dr. Watkins. I had Dr.Watkins the year I graduated from SUCO, which was the spring of 1986. His classes were always interesting. He brought History to life and he was a nice and kind person.My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Richard Darcy
Class of 1986

Karl Lehenbauer said...

I had the honor and pleasure of taking a couple of Dr. Watkins' American History courses. As a non-traditional student, I had a little more "world experience" than most of the students in those classes.

I remember vividly how, peering over his glasses and with a twinkle in his eyes, Dr. Watkins would make an obscure reference or a small joke that sailed high over the heads of most of his students. I would sit and smile and enjoy what I believed to be an inside joke between him and me.

When I came to work at SUCO, I would see him periodically. He always had time for a chat and I enjoyed those times when we could briefly discuss the latest goings-on in the world...and that twinkle in his eyes was always present.

He was an inspirational teacher and a wonderful human being. He is sorely missed.