Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Dr. Fleisher Remembers Ralph

I am so sorry to learn of Ralph's passing. Although on opposite ends of
the campus, we were friends and colleagues for decades, during which we
shared committee responsibilities and held common perspectives on so
many issues. Not very many people are aware that throughout the 80's
Ralph and I shared, with a few other faculty in History and
Anthropology, informal membership in what we jokingly called the "Mystic
Knights of the Lodge Hall" - the Lodge Hall was the Black Oak and the
agenda was always the same - cathartic discussions of campus politics
shared over a beer now and again. It was just last May that Ralph and I
talked about the pros and cons of retirement, which he was seriously
considering. He made a very positive, lasting impression on everyone
who knew him. I will miss Ralph's smile and genuine greetings.
Unfortunately, Yom Kippur will preclude my attendance at his service.
He will remain in my heart.
In sadness,

P. Jay Fleisher
Earth Sciences, Emeritus

No comments: